Saturday, March 22, 2014

Appreciate your coworkers

     Today was the last day for a coworker (18 years with the company, against my 3).  We work together 2 days a week, but on his last day, he chose to go to lunch with me.  (Took me to lunch, actually).  He admitted that he would really miss me--not just working alongside me but our fun conversation and interaction.  He'd seen so many managers come through the company (including his work in Russia, too), but I was unique in that someone of my young age had so much depth, personality, honesty, energy, a desire to help the team, encouragement, sense of what's right, ethics and humor.  
     He's going to miss our chats about jazz (and the music I occasionally play on my iPod/computer speakers), world developments, jokes, and books/films.  He respected how I tried to help everyone and didn't want to simply sit behind a desk with my feet up on it.  How I respectfully stood up for our department to "clueless dizzy-headed VPs".  How cleverly I dealt with my selfish/incompetent Assistant who really should be fired (if the senior management wasn't afraid of her perpetual "poor health issues").  How I hadn't let the corrupt internal politics force me to "lose my way".  
     Most of all, he was going to miss how "open" I was to talk to, how I gave amazingly great advice (if I do say so myself), and how well I understood people.  With a huge hug, I was a little teary-eyed as I thanked him for all his hard work, true dedication to making things run smoothly (if only for our team's appreciation/benefit), and what a "trooper" he was.
    I mention this on my blog partly as bragging but also to inspire you.  If you have a treasured coworker, go out and tell them how much you appreciate them.  They'd love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)