Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Why Contribute?

Someone read my last blog entry and contacted me to ask why I had done all those "good deeds" and upstanding contributions?  They asked if any of my former deeds helped me nowadays?  Would I recommend such actions to other people?
     To be honest, I contributed to others because I wanted to.  Regarding organizations, I was rarely "guilted" into it.  Peer pressure was responsible for a small portion of my life's good deeds.  Mostly, I believe that a "difference" and an "impact" start with one person.  They energize others.


Call me naïve, but I believe good deeds are contagious.  




     The main premise of the film "It's A Wonderful Life" is that you never know how many lives you touch with your good actions.  Sure, it's gratifying and encouraging when Life/Fate gives you recognition or when you learn of the ways that you've helped make a difference.  Yet, you do the things that help others because you want to… because your heart is full and your conscience advises you to.
     Now, to the second question.  People close to me would say that No, certainly all my former good deeds are not helping me now.  When you do the "right things" and donate your time/talents, it doesn't always improve your own life.  The movies suggest that it does.  However, I know friends who donated parts of their lives in faraway places… with no benefit to their current predicaments.  They worked at orphanages, Peace Corps, charities and organic farms.  None of that helps them currently.  The same for "Pro-Bono" work.  Learning experiences and "peace of mind", yes.  Career advancement or monetary support, no.  But, they did it anyway.
     Regarding all the volunteerism and fund-raising I did for my parochial high school and my university.  Thinking back on all the church committees I tirelessly contributed to.  The church and college newspapers.  Helping my hometown neighbors.  Comforting all the "closeted" gay guys I knew.  Starting a honor circle at college, and the seven other student organizations that I was an officer of.  Earning the Honors to graduate with.  Achieving the Alpha Mu Alpha award (the most-recent worthy student was 10 years before me).  Coaching my coworkers, so they'd keep their jobs.  None of those people are in my life now.  Job interviewers don't care about any of it.  Neither to potential friends.  My organizational skills, strategies, people skills, political savvy, and fund-raising accomplishments haven't connected me with any powerful people.  It's like a person loses everything in a building that burns down.
     So, why would I recommend such behavior to others?  Because some of it DOES help you.  I'll take those experiences into new relationships and organizations.  I might've inspired others and set a good example for people.  We never know all the people whom we affect.  The Boy Scouts gave me immeasurable civic goodness, confidence, and team spirit.  I take those personality traits with me today.  Just like you carry good penmanship or manners.  
     Yes, I think it's a crying shame that former contributions don't always provide connections to more successes.  So many times we see the backstabbing or corrupt people or shallow "followers" enjoying life.  Nonetheless, a "random act of kindness" is contagious.  So, keep doing them.  Contributions to worthy causes gets things done, and they make impacts.  Keep doing them.  Being kind and respectful to others doesn't cost anything and is the right thing to do.  Maybe it breeds good karma.  Keep doing them.  In my careers, I got people to work harder for me through attracting their motivated enthusiasm/admiration, rather than instilling fear/hatred.  And remember, small steps have accomplished great things.


     I recognize the irony that I've been taken advantage of many times, while those I'd helped stood by helplessly.  I can only hope that my behavior/contributions may spark them to act differently in the future, or that our paths cross again and they feel compelled to help.  If I never see any of the people (whom I know I helped) again, I'll still know what a great job I did.  I'll know that organizations, people and experiences were brighter because of me.  Just as you might help a lost child, or volunteer at charity work, avoid wasting food, or clean up some litter in the park.  Keep doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)