Friday, October 16, 2015

Campus Diversity?

Readers who enjoyed my 11/17/12 post about my college life asked if there was ANYTHING that I didn't enjoy about my extracurricular participation.
     Yes.  There was one stand-out phenomenon.  Certainly, the New England campus was mostly Caucasian--even though Alfred University boasted a "diverse" mix.  Obviously, to garner good recruitment, university officials put "emphasis" (a.k.a. pressure) on the Office of Student Activities to "help along" the Minority Groups.  There were 2 "Diversity" groups: Umoja and Poder Latino.  Nothing for Asians.  (Technically, the campus ALSO categorizes the gay club, Spectrum, as part of the "Diversity" clubs).
     As you'll read in that earlier blog post, I was extremely active in campus social life.  I contributed "above & beyond" to several student groups simultaneously, in addition to my studies.  I gave whole-heartedly.  So, when I saw the Director of Student Life "propping up" the not-so-active / not-so-interested multicultural groups, I raised an eyebrow.
     All the student groups had offices in one wing of the Powell Campus Center building.  But, the multicultural groups kept their offices separate from everybody else.  Across the hall.  In a separate suite of offices.  Removed from everyone else.  That arrangement was their own.  They hardly ever came over to interact with the other groups in the other wing... even though people ventured to their wing.  (I suppose that was marginally better than Spectrum, which held most of its events off-campus).
     In the dining hall, they kept together at their own table(s).
     To maintain their campus-given budgets, all student groups had to host a quantity of events.  The 2 multicultural groups seemed to lag behind, not having many events.  It frustrated us "student leaders"--who did most everything ourselves--to watch the employees of the Office of Student Activities do all the work of putting on an event for the multi-cultural events.  Instead of the students, it was the paid employees who created the posters, reserved rooms, made banners, coordinated, found & brought in guest speakers, set up rooms, and cleaned up.  At a "multicultural cookout", it was the employees who had bought the ingredients, actually cooked the food, set up and decorated the room, and promoted the event.  They even served the food, alongside the student members (who finally seemed interested).  
     Nope, the same employees didn't help Spectrum as much (so I guess that's a SECOND thing I didn't like about AU).
     One year, I was the Voting Chair of the Alfie Awards (our version of the Oscars).  Special categories were suddenly created to "favor" multicultural groups.  I did my job organizing the voting booths, designing the ballots, going to every group/team on campus to get nominees, and supervised the accurate voting collection.  At the last minute, the Office of Student Activities wouldn't let me do the last part of my job: counting the votes!  They insisted on tallying the votes, alone.  How absurd.  No surprise, that the multi-cultural groups won several Aflie award categories.  Thus, prestigious recognition went to groups that might not have actually deserved the award (which was a entry-point to campus Leadership Awards, Dean's Awards, and was a resume booster).  Meanwhile, Spectrum--which AU grouped in the Diversity segment, too--never got awards!  Go figure.
     Needless to say, those aspects of AU life disappointed me.  Such "help" didn't seem to foster diversity, nor empower those groups.  In fact, it might've taught those students an entirely DIFFERENT set of life lessons.
     Years after my graduation, the university established more "Diversity" groups: Caribbean Student Association, Drawn to Diversity, and the International Students & Scholars Organization.  Being a fellow who befriends and appreciates a huge variety of nationalities and cultures, I hope the current students in those groups are getting a better-blended experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)