Wednesday, February 12, 2020

I Self-Published the Third Novel in my series!


     This novel is available on Apple iBooks.  I extend gratitude to my far-flung friends in other countries, who regale and inspire me with their livelihoods, life/work balance, and ways of life.  Shirlyn and Chalmer enlivened me with their tales of transplanted beginnings.  Dragan highlighted Europe’s spiciness.  William illustrated its interwoven cultures, while Zoran and Shone demonstrated its hospitality.  Valeriy exhibited just how beautiful Danish life is.  Chef Orlando provided lovingly-made food and enlightening truths.  I am grateful to the impressive capital city of Copenhagen for surprising experiences: tastes, sights, friendliness, and tangible history.  Below, is the story's Foreword.

------------------


     This edition to the series made a “big jump” for the main characters.  It transformed their world, which I think was an upgrade.  It “drove the point home” that we should never be afraid of change—and to be early-adaptors for seeking better experiences.  While reading this, I learned a lot about Copenhagen: historic, progressive, well-engineered, cohesive, and multi-national.  Ken’s storyline gave all-encompassing viewpoints of Copenhageners’ daily lives.  It was also refreshing to know that somewhere in history, being gay was more socially-acceptable.  Pierce, Jai and their crew clearly chose an excellent post-war place to live!  


     As in each of Ken’s novels, the era-accurate details marveled me: slang, gadgets, and ways of dressing.  Whenever I resumed reading, my modern world fell away, and I was immersed in the characters’ realm… with a touch a magic.  Throughout the plotlines and verbiage, remnants of the era’s recently-ended war were colorful.  I loved the songs that Ken mentioned; I listened to them online and enjoyed how lively they are.  I was thrilled when some characters finally had a taste of “relationships”… but I won’t spoil the surprise(s).  As a talented writer, Ken smoothly rotated some characters out—with enough scenes to keep them vivid—and introduced memorable new ones, for many pages of enjoyment.  Chef Lo continued to inspire, Remington had me rooting hard, and Pierce, Jai, Clive, and Mrs. Feterman routinely made me laugh out loud.  One of the subplots brought a previously-mysterious character out of the shadows.  In addition, I finally learned how the main characters came into Pierce’s life.  It was also fascinating to see how a prototype car was blended into the narrative.  Considering how American automakers are now, I wish that brand had survived.  


     Apart from immense amusement, I gleaned knowledge about Life.  Too many authors leave inspirational points or “morals of the story” to be guessed.  Ken comes right out and states them plainly.  The characters’ meditative lessons were valuable to me, and I actually began using them!  I must admit that I liked how Jai remained a cosmopolitan Asian who retained Eastern wisdom.  I suppose that is because wisdom is timeless.  


     Ken’s ability to shift from the comical to the suspenseful was fun to read.  I also admired his techniques that positioned so much of the plot within the span of one week.  The interplay between people was masterful.  Thanks to the author’s love of language and wordplay, I still recall some of their puns and exclamations!  This is truly a gem worth re-reading.  As you flip the pages of Ken’s newest creation, you will join a sanguine camaraderie that refreshes you.  Enjoy!


- The third Dr. Lee


Here is the link to iTunes iBooks:

https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-expats/id1480312966


*Here is a link to my previous book: 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)