Sunday, January 4, 2015

My Own Favorite Facebook posts of 2014


Over a platter of mussels and some calamari arrabiata, Lewis said that if he had to design a police uniform, he'd refer to the "fierce" Carabinieri's: (part Dracula/Batman cape, swords, white gloves, epaulets, S&M boots, and striped jodhpurs)!

Today is Lunar New Year (Lewis is year of the Horse, too).   Tomorrow we shall "gallop" into Chinatown for the "mane" event of dinner, and "horseplay" with our friends!


I was impressed that despite all the other customers she handles, the counter girl at Leather Spa remembered my name--also saying that she had recognized that it was me who called 2 days ago to see how late the shoemaker stayed each night. What lovely service!  (And I thought only bartenders remembered me!)


Our 3rd-year Anniversary was savored at Chez Josephine, as Jean-Claude bestowed martinis, fried oysters, homemade pâté, escargot, Spaghetti Bolognese, and Calf's Liver with luscious Châteauneuf-du-Pape, a bottle of Piper-Heidsieck to celebrate, and profiteroles w/ some aged Armagnac! All make for sweetened kisses, now that we're back home, with plenty of time before midnight!


Tonight, Lewis and I saw Plácido Domingo perform in the Met's "The Enchanted Island": his performance was certainly the best part of the whole opera.


Seeing a wet stain going down my shorts, Lewis was intrigued by how apparently excited I was to see that had come over.  With a kiss, I assured him that it was from the oranges that I had been cutting.




Before I began a presentation, a jealous colleague approached me, "So, Ken, tell us about your little idea?"  In front of everyone, I asked, "Why did you call it little?"  He replied, "Oh, I don't know.  But come on, don't make such a fuss."  My reply, "It's no fuss.  It's just that you said something so odd that it caught my attention (pause)… but since you don't know why you said it… (pause)."  I insouciantly proceeded with my presentation ideas.  My boss gave me a smirk.  Moral of the story: don't belittle/minimize others, as it simply showcases your small brain.

After recovering from a 24-hr virus (Lewis got the bathroom tidy, each time I got sick), I awoke to baroque classical music.   Sounds of woodwinds, harp, and strings fluttered through my apartment.  A bouquet of hyacinths (such delightful aroma!) and a bouquet of iris (just peeking open).  The windows were open, so I could hear the chirping songbirds.  A breakfast of granola cereal, mango, and banana, alongside a cup of sencha green tea.  Everything was lovely--especially him!

Tonight, Lewis and I attended the NY Philharmonic's performance alongside Pixar movie montages: Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Cars, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc.  The music was SO GREAT! It was conducted by David Newman.  He's related to the 2-Oscar-winning Newman composers, AND son of 9-Oscar (45 nominations) composer Alfred Newman--who created the FOX Studio Fanfare.  

This time last year, I found myself upset about my nonexistent Mother/Son relationship, sadly beyond my control.  I was suddenly buoyed by the generous loving words from Shari, Carolyn, Cariann, Bonnie, Ted, and Karen--each one amazing!  I was unofficially adopted, too.  To each of you, I wish love and fortunate blessings on this beautiful day.  You have added beauty to my day, too!

Cuban cuisine and the "Jersey Boys" movie left Lewis and I in a singsong mood.  At 11pm on a summer Sunday, Astoria was alive with busy sidewalk restaurants, skateboarders, dog walkers, grocery customers, and bar hoppers.  Some folks even liked our singing.

Joseph Lengeling (of the AIA Architecture Tour committee) led our walking tour from the Tiffany-glass clock atop Grand Central Terminal, along a pedestrian-only Park Ave South, and ended at the digital clock at Union Square.  It was a  perfect "NYC Summer Streets" activity: admiring architecture that I previously never noticed, great people-watching, and enjoying the wide street without cars--just cyclists, rollerbladers, and joggers.


The newly-opened "other half" of Govenors Island was a delight to explore.  The new asphalt bike trails weave smoothly through the island--encircling the new baseball fields (with solar "device charging stations"), organic veggie gardens, and organic goat/chicken farm!  

Lewis thought my wrist neckerchief was silly.  I called it a whimsical nuance of color.

Once again, the weather forecasters can't forecast the weather.  Thankfully so.  The park caretaker's cat and I enjoyed the sunshine side-by-side.  Dragonflies hovered, frisbees soared, dogs stretched leashes, shirtless runners were adorable, and leaves greenly defied the approach of autumn.


We and our friend, Paul, avoided the "corralled" mayhem of the Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting.  It's a mess.  Instead, we grabbed amazing cocktails at "hidden" Apotheke.  Paul tried a Corpse Reviver: vodka, sassafras, Combier orange liqueur, Lillet, lemon, and Pernod Absinthe.  

Lewis and I devised a game: we look out my bedroom window and see how many neighboring buildings are lit for Christmas.  Whoever can connect 3 apartments is the winner and gets to choose the "next activity" (hopefully to achieve eminence on Santa's Naughty List).

Old Overholt Rye - created in 1810.
Santa Claus - created (from the Dutch Sinterklaas) in 1823.
Both make for a jolly evening!

The ballet dancer possessed a catlike way of holding himself, a manly elegance, beautifully dressed with spray of sequins, bulging thighs in immaculate tights, and gracefully poised in every gesture.

My handsome new neighbor stopped me in the hall to ask if I'm "handy" with "tools".  No, he wasn't flirting: he needed advice assembling a present for Christmas.  With a twinkling smile, I replied that the metal tools I'm most talented with are saucepans and cocktail shakers!  Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)