Wednesday, May 10, 2017

My Spring Morning

     On my day off, it's delightful to use the other side of the subway tracks and watch everyone else begin their commute.



     Heading north into Astoria, the subway was much less crowded.  That's the way I like to go: an early start on peaceful routes.  Perfect for my errands and "To Do" list.  



     First, I cashed-in some rolled coins at the bank.  Good sign: when I arrived, I was the only one in line, but soon 12 people were lined up behind me.  The same thing happened at 60 Beans coffeeshop.  I was the only one at the counter, but when I turned, 6 people had lined up behind me.  It must be my magnetic persona!
     Unlike other patrons, I always socialize with the folks who carefully make my order.  Today's barista chatted metaphysically with me about the balance and renewal of Springtime.  Giving me a great smile, he frothed my almond milk and warmed my cup.



I sipped a Gibraltar (a coffee drink named for the British Overseas Territory on the southern tip of the Kingdom of Spain) and breakfasted on honeyed Greek yogurt and a warmed leek/pepper quiche.  



     Heading to one of my preferred markets, I spotted the happiest potted plant, smiling up at me.  



     I'll give it to Lewis' mom when we dine on Friday, in advance of Mother's Day!



     I strolled around the block, admiring some flowers in different gardens.  The scene below reminded me of a still-life portrait.




     A lilac bush (below) was super-aromatic!  Such a treat, as I stood there inhaling its sweet scent--probably looking like an idiot, but I didn't care.  You must savor those moments!






     Then, I retrieved my sharpened kitchen knives from a local repairman.  Tonight's dinner menu was chosen due to their born-again sharpness: eggplant and zucchini--sliced thin--and formed into a no-carb vegetable lasagna.  


     Tip: in a frying pan, "sweat" the water out of the eggplants.  



     I layered sauce, fire-roasted peppers, tomato sauce, veggies, diced onion, and grated cheese into my slow-cooker.  



     With dinner underway, I lunched at nearby Enthaice Thai Kitchen.  Both waiters are always so smiley and attentive.  The food is always plated so cheerfully, too.





     From there, I sauntered into my favorite shop: Astoria Coffee!  Read my previous post about it:

http://halfwindsorfullthrottle.blogspot.com/2015/02/astoria-coffee.html

A lengthy chat with Dennis, the owner, made my afternoon a delight.  Don made one of his always-perfect espresso "pulls", and we enjoyed the busy vibe... always a good sign of business for a Wednesday at 3pm!  


     The sun was shining over a blue sky, so I walked across town to Rainey Park.  The renewed grass looked great.



     I listened to mockingbirds and orange-breasted robins singing sweetly.  I watched poodles chase one another over the grassy knolls.  



     Sitting on a bench, I went online to the "We Love Astoria" website to see the winners of the "Best of Astoria".  I was happy to see that the hair salon that I go to won!  I texted my stylist, Dragan, that it's probably all because of him.  Jokingly, he accepted the compliment, and gave a hello that I should pass along to Lewis.  
     Suddenly, I heard a screech above and looked upward to spot a red-tailed hawk circling the park!  Lewis and I hope they'll reduce the pigeon population, but we've only seen them prey on song-birds (twice on my apt's fire escape).



     It was 5 o'clock when I returned home.  My kitchen smelled wonderful.  I put two glasses in the freezer for tonight's wine (already chilled).  Birds musically gathered on my bird feeder (hung from my fire escape).  I turned on some Count Basie jazz, took out my cashmere throw--to ward off the 52-degree breeze--and shook up a frosty martini.  
     Enjoying today's daylight might've been modest, but it was full of Zen, connection, good service, cheerfulness, and rejuvenation.  I hope you have a great day, too!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)