Tuesday, December 25, 2018

'Twas the Night (for pictures)



I thought that a pictorial delivery of this folktale would be nice for Christmas Day.

First, we have some imagined musical accompaniment!



Now we shall begin:




... and all through the house...












And mama in her kerchief...


...and I in my cap,





When out on the lawn, there arose such a clatter...






When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh...


...and eight tiny reindeer!


With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.




So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,


With the sleigh full of toys and Saint Nicholas, too.


And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.


As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.


He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,


And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;


A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,






His eyes—how they twinkled! 


his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were...


...like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,


And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;


The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;


He had a broad face and a little round belly,

That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.


He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;




A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;


He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,



And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,






And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;


He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,



And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.


But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,



“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night!”






Feel free to share the tale with someone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)