Saturday, October 25, 2014

You catch more bees with honey than vinegar

This was so gratifying for me!  I walked into my local bakery...


In line ahead of me was a nasty demanding bitchy woman.  She was trying to use intimidation and fiery  language to get what she wanted.  And she didn't care how much it delayed the customers waiting in line behind her, or how it distressed the staff.  Apparently, the woman has the belief that if she berates and threatens people, she'll get exactly what she wants (perhaps at a discount--as compensation for her discomfort).
     In the end, she got what she wanted and made the aloof comment to the owner, "Its nothing personal; its just a transaction."  The owner wiped her brow and replied, "Well, you know precisely what you want, and I'm just glad that we satisfied you."  Yeah right.
     It became my turn.  I conducted my usual chit-chat, asking about her daughter and about when the pumpkin cheesecake would arrive on the shelves.  After my purchase, the owner beckoned me and said, "You're always so nice.  Here's something extra: a pumpkin pie--free of charge!"
     LESSON?  Which of us got better service in that shop?  By intimidation or kindness?  Both are free.  One is also better on your blood-pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)