Thursday, August 6, 2015

My birthday!!!

     As a surprise for my birthday, Lewis took me for an afternoon activity: bowling.  Last year, as we walked to the Chinese Consulate for our travel visas to China... 

(To see that trip, please click this link: http://halfwindsorfullthrottle.blogspot.com/2014/11/our-trip-to-china-part-i.html )

... we saw Lucky Strike Bowling Alley on the opposite corner.  *Yes only in NYC can an embassy be on the opposite corner from a bowling alley!  At that time, I casually remarked that I hadn't gone bowling in such a long time.  Lewis remembered that and took me there, for a few games before taking me out for dinner.  I actually got 3 strikes!  Not in a row, but the last two came at the most opportune time: the final set, thus each strike won me an extra turn.  So much fun!
     Afterwards, we arrived in the East Village for cocktails at the Hudson Hotel's sleek/posh bar.  Martini and summer punch were each delicious.  Lewis had scoured the city for restaurants serving soft-shell crab entrees, and he chose one near the hotel.  Unfortunately, a reservation mixup left us having to wait a whole hour before we could be seated.  Not to waste time on my birthday, I showed my great appreciation for the gesture, and I gently suggested finding another place to dine.  Recreating our trip to Barcelona, we found a strip of smaller restaurants and proceeded to have appetizers (tapas) in one, strong drinks at another, and dinner--and more drinks--in yet another.  It was so much fun!  And scrumptious.  
     Lewis shooed me away from the dessert menu, hinting at his other surprise that awaited me at home.  The day before, Lewis had spent hours going to 5 bakeries across the city to buy slices of cakes... that represented all the birthdays that I've shared with him!  A red velvet cupcake (from our sleepover at Yotel in midtown); a slice of strawberry shortcake (from Lady M Confections on E78th Street--they use a superfine Japanese flour that makes a spongecake unlike any other); a slice of moist banana nut cake (perfect icing, from Billy's Bakery in Chelsea); confetti & corn cookies (from Momofuku Milk Bar in Midtown West); and a Black & White cookie (from the food court at the Plaza Hotel).  And a musical candle on top!  
     I was so impressed and "touched" by Lewis' loving thoughtfulness, and by all the effort that he invested.  Those gestures were such great birthday presents!!  I love him so much!

A friend described me...
"The spirit of being with Ken is one of love, loyalty, generosity and great living.  You can't remain in his orbit and keep thoughts contrary to that spirit, nor live un-imbued by its ennobling influence!"
Well, the same can certainly be said for my darling, Lewis!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)