Friday, August 21, 2015

Inexperienced employees


My most recent blog entry dealt with companies employing people who are too-young/too-inexperienced, simply because they are affordable.  That tactic displays a cheapness, as well as a lack of concern for protocol/professionalism.  When I graduated college, I was aware of the limited roles for employment.  Nowadays--especially in American retail--job-seekers in their mid-20s are put into positions of management and "Director": Creative Director, Public Relations Director, Talent Acquisition Director, and Visual Director.  How can they perform the role?  Based on what experience?  Their teenage webcam videos?
     Earlier this year, I was interviewed by a national retail company that was expanding its presence into Manhattan.  Based in Chicago, their Vice President of Human Resources gave me a telephone interview.  Then, their Vice President of Stores and VP of Customer Service (each of several years tenure with the company) gave me a conference call phone interview that lasted an hour.  Next, I was called by their NYC Human Resources manager for another interview.  She was a chirpy blonde 25-year-old.  I never got to meet the two store managers, but I saw their pictures online; both look like young bodacious "California girls".  I dutifully sent a Thank You, but after that meeting, I didn't hear from her.  I reached out and was told that the team was considering candidates and would let me know their decision.  After a delay of 3 weeks, I followed up again with her and found out that they gave the position to someone else... but they wanted me to work "underneath" him.  So, the girl summoned me for another interview.
     There, she introduced me--NOT the store manger or metro-district manager--but to the guy who got the job that I applied for!  He was 30-years-old and as muscular as an Abercrombie & Fitch greeter.  She told him that he and I both competed for his job.  I'm not sure why an HR person would say that; it might've made the guy uneasy or jealous of his job.
     She departed, and he interviewed me.  I learned that he did have slightly more experience than me, but at low-end brands like H&M and Express.  I have one less year of experience (and less muscle), but my 16 years are all in luxury retail of varied areas.  The guy got slightly uncomfortable as I aced the company's standardized interview questions.  Perhaps he had not answered them as smoothly?  I will never know, and things like that don't affect my working rapport with people.  Just like a sports coach can't hit the ball farthest or run fastest, he should be smart enough to employ people who do it better than him.
     Alas, I was not surprised when the guy emailed me saying that he was going to seek another candidate.  He was probably afraid of looking bad against me.  After I successfully impressed all the corporate Vice Presidents, I still got denied.  
     I wished the HR girl had not let the guy who competed against me for his job be the ONLY person to interview me.  Had I met with the store management, I might've had a chance to get the job.  My appeal to the three people in Chicago for jobs at other stores was timidly appreciated.  They said that they leave all the "local details" to the local staff.  Such a lack of oversight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)