Friday, June 3, 2016

Post Office Inefficiency


     For as long as I've been alive (regardless of whether on Long Island, throughout Queens county, or in Manhattan), the U.S. Postal Service has offered consistent poor service.  Have you ever wondered why lines have remained so slow & long... despite how much faster everything else in the world has gotten?  That takes real effort to remain so stagnant!
     The picture above was taken today at my local Post Office at 3pm.  The picture would look similar at 10am or 5pm, whether Saturday or Tuesday.  Why is that?  It represents the state of America (as if Trump's hollered rampages and his supporters' fury for ignorance hasn't represented enough).  
     Too many Post Offices fail to have all their counters open... just like big supermarkets fail to do so.  Long lines are created by their antiquated equipment, lack of supervision (to drive efficiency), haggard-looking low-income staff, and their overall slowness.  The DMV moves faster!  Making it worse, they neglect to have more personnel during holiday seasons when there is a predictable flood of packages and customers.  To ignore that annual increase for 40+ years at locations across the nation is mind-boggling.  It's literally predictable on the calendar!  During holidays, queues can involve 30+ customers who wait for 30 minutes or more to do simple transactions.  Clearly, customer service is not a priority for this tax-funded institution... and neither is computerized technology.  Typical USA government.










     My postman (postal carrier) is a pleasant guy.  He represents great service: making sure my packages are on time, the right mail is in the right mailbox in my lobby, and he brings up certain packages if he rings my intercom and knows that I am home.  Why can't the counter people be as pleasant/efficient?  THAT'S the problem!  THEY show a face of unconcern & unhurried disrespect to tax-paying customers--who also pay to ship/mail things with them.  It's a double-whammy for us... which is why we deserve the best service, if you think about it.  
     Today, after waiting in line for 12 minutes, I was greeted by a disheveled-looking woman who spoke broken English.  No greeting, no smile, no cares.  She halted in the middle of my (already delayed) transaction to adjust her radio's antenna!  Then, when an equally-decrepit coworker couldn't find something, she turned away from me and got involved finding it.  I suppose that kind of helpfulness is good, but to ignore me--as a second interruption--was not.  I stood there for another 2 minutes until she returned.  Her poor communication skills didn't help me understand what she was asking.  I wanted to pay with my credit card, but her machine was broken.  I couldn't understand if anyone else's machine worked, so I paid with cash.  It was a good thing that I had money with me.  It was NOT a fun interaction, nor has it improved after 30 years.  

     Let's consider the decrepit appearance of the customers at the Post Offices.  Many looked as if they also get in line for food stamps.  Maybe it's best to go online and arrange for PO pick-ups from your home.  
     Overall, it's certainly a far cry from the timeliness depicted in this vintage mailbox, below (see the winged hourglass at the top, to imply speed).  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)