Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Little Good Things Can Make A Wintery Day Great

A week ago, NYC experienced a snowfall.  Weather reports pinpointed its arrival for Saturday.  Lewis and I were prepared! 
     My week hadn't started nicely, though.  On Thursday, I made a second attempt at Trader Joe's to buy groceries.  Yet, I found an extensive line beyond their door, with a inept-looking employee acting as "bouncer" to admit people.  I never saw such a line of customers at TJ's!  Peering inside, I saw plenty of room for us, yet nobody got an answer as to why we couldn't stand in line INSIDE.  Patrons continually left the store with their groceries, yet nobody was admitted in.  In a huff, I got off the line (in the freezing winter air) and departed from their discourteous service.
     To recover from that disappointment, I decided to buy some Astoria-made gin: the first distillery in Queens County since the 1930s Prohibition!  Called Astoria Courage, it's made by Astoria Distillery, using NYC rooftop honey, citrus, and botanicals.  Their website told me where to buy their gin.  However, the first place didn't actually carry it.  Despite the windy weather, I walked seven blocks to the next place... which didn't carry it.  In a frustrated final attempt, I followed their website via one subway stop... but THAT place was OUT OF BUSINESS!  In anger, I posted a withering complaint on their Facebook page.  I accused them of carelessly misleading customers who are trying to give them money.
     On Friday, I saw a response from Astoria Distillery's co-founder, Chris.  He profusely apologized, saying that places might've sold out of his product, and perhaps they hadn't reordered.  He assured me that his website would be updated to show current suppliers.  I felt good for helping other clients... and for giving free advice/feedback to the business, so they don't lose future customers.  Chris mentioned that he called a liquor store in Astoria at 8:30pm, the prior night, to ensure that they still had 2 bottles of his gin.  I replied to him with my gratitude.  
     Elated with such polite treatment, I flitted to that liquor store and snatched one of the last bottles.  According to its label, I got bottle #134 from Batch #2.  Carrying it with me, I attended my haircut appointment at nearby Gigi Salon.  




     My stylist, Dragan, was extremely thankful for my favorable Yelp comment.  His "shampoo girl" lavished a sensual scalp massage on me.  As I sat in Dragan's chair, he slipped a warm mug of mint tea into my grasp.  He regaled me with tales of his recent globe-trotting travels.  A gay mid-aged Eastern European, he has many friends around the world.
     Dragan prefers to travel alone.  It affords him ease of movement to go/come as he pleases, at his own timetable.  If he travels with a companion (not necessarily sexual), they agree to do their own itineraries--especially if they have different tastes.  Dragan met a charming gay couple on the beach at Rio de Janeiro.  Always receptive to positive energy, he was drawn to them, and they insisted that he forgo his hotel to stay at their apartment.  Nothing sexual was expected.  They showed him great hospitality (their maid kept the fresh towels and meals coming), and even lent one of their cars for his day-trip.  Dragan's artist/friend lives in Nicaragua, and he invited Dragan to visit again soon: cost-effective, beautiful culture, great coffee, open-door policies, and a fun society.  
     At the age of 10, Dragan told his astonished parents that he wanted to grow up to be either a pastry chef or a hair stylist.  Ergo, Dragan pursued both and is an accomplished baker!  

     With my handsome hairdo, I sauntered home.  Lewis was back from the gym, so we started our day (wink).  After soothing showers, we headed to the city.  
     I swapped a Christmas gift at the Land's End pop-up store on Fifth Avenue... just before the store closed in 2 days!  Happy with my exchange, we went downtown to Top Shop.  Finding a washed denim pair of shorts in "Spray On" fit, I was delighted to see the price tag at $25 from $50.  To my delight, the cashier said that they were actually $15!  
     Walking south to Chinatown, we decided to dine at a Shanghainese restaurant.  With time to spare before dinnertime, we split up to get delicacies from several grocers.  Due to his language skills, Lewis got on one line to buy spiced beef tendon.  I entered a market to buy spices.  I spotted a misplaced package of sweet red-bean rice balls. 



Feeling fortunate, I added the package to my basket.  The cashier delighted me further because it only cost $1.99!  Amidst the banter of Mandarin around me, I suddenly recognized a polite voice addressing me in English.  A young Chinese woman behind me alerted me that items were about to spill out of my pocket.  I thanked her for her help, and it brought a shy smile.  Lewis exited his store, as I left mine.  We met on the sidewalk and headed to dinner (below).





      Dining at 456, we ordered my favorite: Lion's Head Meatballs (succulent and soft!).  They're appropriate of the approaching Lunar New Year.



Egg/scallion pancakes, 2 trays of soup dumplings, and fried noodles with shrimp accompanied it.  



It evoked memories of our trip to China.  To see that, click here:


     The subway got us to Union Square at 8pm, and I spontaneously decided to try Trader Joe's again (before tomorrow's snowstorm).  Luckily, everybody else was at Happy Hour or dinner, so I glided easily through the store.  











As I left, I saw that another long line had formed outside.  It hadn't been there earlier!  I was gleeful that I arrived at just the right time to avoid it.  
     Lewis and I got to my apartment before the first snowflakes fell.  

     During Saturday's storm, we stayed snugly indoors all day.  We loved the gin!  



We had snacks and watched the 2011 TV series, "Journey To the West" online.  I highly recommend it.  The storyline has been a popular tale since ancient times... and still is via modern interpretations.




  
     The 2011 version is in Mandarin with English subtitles.  As a fan of foreign films, I don't mind subtitles.  Lewis' translations added extra "umph".  









     The next morning, a mound of snow lay against my bedroom window, on the fire escape.  The city had 2 feet of snow, in some areas!  Rising before Lewis, I set to work preparing a stew for later: parsnips, celery, carrots, onion, leeks, tomatoes, no-sodium chicken stock, spices, Turkish bay leaves, charred Italian sausage.  By 11 o'clock, I enticed him to step outside with me to explore!
      


     Lewis had a hankering for ice cream (I know, unbelievable, isn't it?).  So, we tromped through the newly-shovelled paths to the revamped TradeFair Market.  Some imbecile designed it so the layout resembles a labyrinth... with similar products displayed in multiple locations, in completely different sections of the store.  It was a total turn-off.  "Lets showcase eggs near the entrance, then put some eggs in the far corner, then put the organic eggs across the store near the fruit."  Idiotic.  As luck had it, the market featured Haagen-Dazs ice creams at 3 for $9.99.  A super deal!  



     Next, we headed to a Mediterranean Market.  Sidestepping their Bobcat on the sidewalk (like this),  


we went inside and discovered German iced lebkuchen (gingerbread cookies)--usually $7 per box at other markets--priced at $1.79!!!  I love gingerbread, so I got two!  
*To see when we ate freshly-made ones in Berlin while buying German handmade ornaments, please use this link:


     After our snowball fight, we passed a townhouse and felt bad for its owner who let the snow accumulate before taking down their Christmas lights.  They're much easier to remove without icy snowfall over the cords.


     Shedding our wet boots and frosty gloves by the doorway, the aroma of our slow-cooker stew welcomed us.  (It pays to prepare in advance of your day's adventures).  



Lewis shook up some Bloody Mary's (stemware was already in the freezer).


A romp in bed--to keep warm--put us in the postcoital mood to watch more "Journey to the West".
     I counted all the "little things" that made that weekend extra special.  The list of our blessings always outweighs anything else.  I'm happy to share my experiences with you.

4 comments:

  1. Was the mandarin version worth seeing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES it is!!! It's cutely amusing and funny at times (especially the actors who portray the pig and monkey), very good special effects/sets/costumes. By the time you're halfway trough the episodes, the reoccurring battles seem redundant. But the finish is amazing!

      Delete

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)