Sunday, January 17, 2016

Support the Locals (Morning Nourishment)



     I got Sunday morning nourishment at OK Coffee (above).  The handsome baristas enticed me to try their chicory French Press coffee "which lends itself to a bit of cream".  (But I always try it black first).  The cozy place serves a light brunch menu on weekends, and it was packed today--people even sat on the benches, outside.  Defiantly going to bring Lewis here for a brunch!   My lovingly-crafted beverage cost a mere $2.40, and aromas of locally-made pastry, breads and cookies wafted in the air.
     Taking the subway 3 stops homeward, I decided to get off 1 stop before home and enjoy walking in the mild January air.  Passing the Mediterranean Market, I stepped inside to see if anything looked good today.  I got a jar of bergamot in syrup (LOVE that!), cherry peppers stuffed with cheese, and a jar of exquisite Pine Honey.  [The elixir is made from pine tree tips of the Rhodope Mountains in Bulgaria/Greece--collected in winter when the the tree growth is young/nutritious... full of Vitamins B, C, K and A].  
     I passed the meat/cheese counter and the baked goods.  Pausing over some tins of powdered butter cookies, I saw a big box for $6.00.  Suddenly, an older gent spoke up.
     "Try the other ones.  They're very good.  Made fresh today."  I looked up.  The unshaven man had a broad smile and continued, "I made them.  You'll love them."  They were $10, and half the weight.  I figured the guy was simply promoting his own stuff, so when he wasn't looking, I took the $6.00 box.  Oblivious to me, the man waved goodbye to the store's staff and left.
     At the check-out, the nicely attentive girl rang me up.  After scanning the $6.00 box of cookies, she said, "Oh, you shouldn't get these.  They're old and probably stale."  She pointed back to the table of cookies/Greek pastries.  "You should get one of those.  The baker just dropped them off.  He's from Cyprus and makes them at home.  He comes only on Sunday, so they'll be perfect now."  
     It was my first time meeting a Cypriot.  Cypriots are either of Greek or Turkish descent, and Cyprus remains part of the Commonwealth of Nations, headed by Queen Elizabeth II.


He asked if I was ever at the Mediterranean Sea?  I mentioned my visit to Barcelona, in the Kingdom of Spain.  He smiled appreciatively.
     The girl helped me pick a box with the best-looking powder.  As a bonus, she gave it to me for the price of the $6.00 box, just so I'd know that it wasn't about the store making profit $$$ as much as it was about making sure the customer got great satisfaction.  It also supported a local vendor: hand-crafted goods.  
     What a generous and great deed!  It made me smile and made my day.


     That's the wonder of small businesses in a supportive tight-knit neighborhood.  The next time I see the baker on a Sunday, I'll be sure to ask for his next recommendation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)