Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Good Deeds to Start the New Year

     In the late afternoon of New Year's Eve, I took my dear friend, Yvonne, for "coffee & pastry" at my favorite coffee shop: Astoria Coffee.  


     Yvonne snagged a table for us, while I stood in line to place our order: croissant, cappuccino, and iced Guatemalan coffee.  I was delighted to get their very last croissant (always freshly baked/delivered by a NYC pâtisserie called Ceci-Cela).  As the barista tamped my coffee, an old woman came through the door.  
     She made her way to the counter and softly asked for a croissant.  Hearing that they were all sold, she smiled wearily and said that she regretted being late because she always loved them.  My heart brimming, I graciously offered mine to her.  Insisting over her modest refusals, I gave her the croissant.  She was so happy!  She insisted on giving me the $2.00.  The whole shop was beaming with happiness at our charming scene.  The woman gave another smile of gratitude and said "Happy New Year", and departed into the dusk.  
    Not sure what to order instead, I admired the $4 chocolate bundt cakes--dipped in chocolate with ivory chocolate shavings (something new).  The grinning barista plated one for me, saying, "This one is on the house.  Enjoy!"  My random act of kindness had been rewarded... and it enriched everyone's experience.  

    On New Year's Day, Lewis and I took Yvonne for dim sum at Ping's in Chinatown.  Alighting from the subway at Canal Street, Yvonne noticed an elderly Chinese woman struggling with her walker to ascend the stairs.  (The corrupt MTA leaves many subway stations non-handicap accessible.  At that station, there are 4 flights of stairs between street and platform, with an elevator that only goes down ONE floor).  
     Lewis swiftly aided the woman, speaking in Mandarin to find out her destination.  He carried her walker and grasped one arm, while Yvonne held her other hand.  The feeble woman was actually humbly apologetic and tried to hurry herself, so as not to delay us.  We insisted that she take her time.  It took nearly 10 minutes--with her panting and breathing hard--to reach the elevator.  Lewis thought that it was an unfortunate shame that she had no relatives/friends to assist her.  Nonetheless, we smiled at her, he consoled her, and Yvonne and I blocked pushy people from bumping into her.  


     We rode up in the elevator with her, and Lewis inquired of her destination.  Reaching the sidewalk, he carefully gave her directions (twice) and wished her well.  She said Thank You in Chinese and English (to me).  We waved to her as we crossed the street.  A random act of kindness for a total stranger.  
      If everybody performed a similar act daily, we'd have a wonderfully-improved society!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)