Thursday, January 19, 2017

Winter Getaway Part 2 of 3

     There's something about a quiet house that's appealing to an early-riser like me: it is a Zen moment.  I wore the bathrobe that Lee left for me, and I went downstairs.



     I paused in the library to ignite a scented candle and choose a book from the bookcase.  Then, I crossed the (casual) living room to the kitchen.  A wonderful aroma welcomed me.


    Earlier, I programmed the coffeemaker to brew in time for my arrival.  (I chose beans from Peet's Morning Blend).  Taking a mug, I sipped it in the library, as the sun brightened that winter day.  After awhile, the aroma wafted upstairs, through the keyholes of everyone's bedrooms.  


     The guys descended from both staircases, and I went to the (formal) living room, opened the chimney flue, and ignited a fire in the fireplace to welcome them.  From the garage, I fetched logs to heighten the flames.  Lee doesn't use a scuttle to carry logs; he has a heavy-duty basket... to give a rustic vibe.  I suppose it works... just as Queen Elizabeth uses baskets for her paperwork when she's at Balmoral Castle.
     The It made a perfect milieu to start the day: the logs popping and snapping added lively sounds and warmth.


     Using his laptop, Dr. Robert hunted online for luxury apartments.  He sought/appreciated my input.  After an hour of lounging in civilized style, breakfast got underway.  In the less-formal dining room, we began with fruit cups, then omelets, hash browns, toast with butter & jam, and zesty Bloody Marys.



     First to finish showering, I began to "lay table" in the formal dining room for that night's dinner.  Suddenly, the doorbell rang.  I greeted a village policeman who wanted to file a Police Report about Lee's property damage.  I gave my name and told him that I didn't live there.  He looked perplexed.  Lewis came downstairs, and I indicated that he didn't live there either.  The other houseguest walked past us, and I told the officer that he also didn't live there.  The cop looked taken aback, so I offered coffee.  Finally, Lee arrived.  I resumed folding napkins, while he spoke to Lee in the foyer.  As they pranced around the front lawn, we watched from the windows.





    Police report filed, the patrol car zoomed away.  We sped in another direction, toward the historically beautiful Village of Cold Spring-on-Hudson.  Leaving Lee's area, we admired how the trusting citizens leave their fishing boats unattended by the many lakes.  




     We've been to Cold Spring a few times, and I was excited.  Lewis promptly dozed off in Lee's SUV.



     Nestled in the Hudson River Valley highlands, its Main Street showcases turn-of-the-century homes, civic buildings, and shops (both trendy and quirky).  











An underground passageway bypasses Cold Spring's train station, which bisects the village.  



     We were delighted to discover an Argentine café: Ricon Argentino.  They advertised their wares adorably on wooden signs.  Using the "honor-code" they allowed passersby to serve themselves and then come in to pay!



The day's special was cutely advertised, too.



We ordered chicken ones, and I selected a coconut-dusted cookie to accompany my hot cider.  Such nice owners!





    After munching our lunch, we continued our stroll uptown.  They were still decorated for Christmas... which gave a quaint and cheery ambiance, like a scene from a Hallmark movie!















Inside a locally-sourced food purveyor, Lewis savored petting the shop-owner's doggie.  The pooch loved Lewis' affection.





I bought a local, dry-cured $16 chorizo for our dinnertime!



     As if it was late-Christmas magic, it began to snow!  The unexpected snowfall made the scene pretty, as we perused several shops.



     Once it began to stick, we wisely decided to use the 4-wheel-drive and head back to the house.  Remotely, Lee used his cellphone to adjust the home's temperature zones and activate the lights/music.  





     Immediately, Lewis chose some Madonna songs, I shook up some frosty gin cocktails, and...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ mua vòng tay pandora từ dịch vụ order hàng mỹ hay nhận mua nước hoa pháp từ website nổi tiếng hàng đầu nước Mỹ mua hàng ebay ship về VN uy tín, giá rẻ.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy: leave your comments :)